Become a qualified Mental Health First Aider with our Adult MHFA Two Day course
60% of UK employees have experienced a mental health issue due to work or where work was a contributing factor*. Yet few employers take seriously the responsibility of ensuring good mental health among staff. Having a mental health first aider on your team provides somewhere for people to turn for support and advice, and also enables you to put in place proactive initiatives to keep your people healthy.
- An in depth understanding of mental health and the factors that can affect well-being
- Practical skills to spot the triggers and signs of mental health issues
- Confidence to step in, reassure and support a person in distress
- Enhanced interpersonal skills such as non-judgmental listening
- Knowledge to help someone recover their health by guiding them to further support – whether that’s self-help resources, through their employer, the NHS, or a mix.
Our two-day course mixes practical sessions with discussions and some classroom-style learning. It’s built around a Mental Health First Aid plan and will give you practical skills and knowledge that you can use straight away in your workplace.
Groups numbers are kept small – from 8 to 16 delegates per group.
On successful completion of this course you’ll receive:
- A manual to refer to whenever you need it
- A workbook including a helpful toolkit to support your own mental health
- A certificate of attendance to say you are a Mental Health First Aider
- A copy of the Line Managers’ Resource, an invaluable source of advice on how to support an employee experiencing mental ill health.
This course includes:
- Why Mental Health First Aid?
- The Mental Health First Aid action plan
- What is mental health?
- Impact of mental health issues
- Stigma and discrimination
- What is depression?
- Symptoms of depression
- Risk factors for depression
- Depression in the workplace
- Suicide figures
- Alcohol, drugs and mental health
- First aid for suicidal crisis
- Non-judgemental listening skills
- First aid for depression
- Treatment and resources for depression
- What is an anxiety disorder?
- First aid for anxiety disorders
- Crisis first aid after a traumatic event
- Alcohol, drugs and anxiety disorders
- Treatment and resources for anxiety disorders
- Cognitive distortions and CBT
- Personality disorders
- Eating disorders
- What is psychosis?
- Risk factors for psychosis
- Alcohol, drugs and psychosis
- Bipolar disorder
- Warning signs of developing psychosis
- Crisis first aid for acute psychosis
- Treatment and resources for psychosis
- Recovery and building resources
- Action planning for using MHFA
* Business in the Community, 2017: Mental Health at Work Report.